Case Study: Omni Channel Retailer
Sourcing a Category Trading Director for a world class omni-retailer
Category Trading Director
The successful candidate had a wide breadth of experience in trading from one of Spain’s biggest eCommerce sites.
He had past experience as a store manager and held a magna cum laude degree from one of Spain’s leading universities.
A renowned omni channel retailer was looking to branch out into previously un-explored categories. The ambition was to bring in talent to discover and generate new business opportunities. This person would report into the management board and be responsible for:
- Strategically identifying new areas for expansion – categories, currently unlisted brands, and even new own brands – and building the end to end businesses case to gain buy in
- Bringing these new areas to life. This would initially be across online offerings only, with potential for store rollout in future
- Continuing to own the commercial operation, i.e. trading the new businesses and being accountable for their P&Ls, in the manner of a traditional trading manager
This client was very well known to Hunter-Miller, having successfully briefed out searches for Trading Directors, a Marketing Director, and top flight digital talent in the recent past.
The successful candidate would need to be:
- a super-bright strategist
- a conventional retail trader – a sales and profit deliverer with a skill for negotiation
- a person who understood retail mechanics and the holistic delivery of a new venture, i.e. possessing experience in a variety of roles, beyond trading
- a digital native who knew the channel inside out
After a hugely successful 18 months as Category Trading Director, he is now the County Manager for the retailer in a new market.